Wednesday 27 October 2010

I'm Determined Not to do This...

...every time I have a meeting with my supervisor but indulge me this once.

THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO AND SO MUCH TO LEARN AND I HAVE SO LITTLE TIME IN WHICH TO DO IT!

Ok, that last part is probably not true. A PhD takes at least 3 years (and I'm ignoring the fact I need to write a 20,000 word lit review by this time next year) but the first part is. I had a meeting today to talk about the notes I made when reading Carol Clover's Men, Women and Chainsaws, and lots of ideas came out of it (it was a 1 hour meeting that lasted for 2 hours) but there are so many more areas to examine than I first thought and so many books to read and ideas to organise. I actually spent part of the meeting telling myself it would be a huge waste of money to drop out this early but given we're only a few weeks into the term wouldn't I at least get some money back. Which isn't the way I want to think at all but this is really overwhelming. There's definitely a part of me that wishes I was just writing about TXF on my own, with no pressure to get a PhD or get published or present papers. But then that's definitely countered by the sheer enthusiasm I've encountered among fans who want to be interviewed and think this is really interesting and want to know more. I love studying TXF and talking about it. It's all these new theories I'm less sure about.

No comments:

Post a Comment